If you watch The Bachelor, then you probably recall the part of Monday night’s episode when they were discussing leap lists. I must be honest, before that episode, I had never even heard of a leap list. A bucket list, yes, a leap list, no. If I’m not the only one who’s clueless, it’s basically a list of things you want to accomplish before the next big milestone in your life (getting married, having a baby, etc.). Since I happened to watch that show right around the same time I was contemplating my purpose in life ;), it really made me think of my own leap list. What would be on it? What is on it?
The next big milestone in my life is my wedding- less than six months away. Though I could make a list and try to accomplish a ton of goals in half a year, I know I’d only be setting myself up for failure. So, my leap list is going to be a list of things I want to accomplish before 2013. There’s nothing that I feel I absolutely need to do while I’m still single, so I might as well give myself the whole year, right?
My Leap List
1. Become Zumba certified I’ve been taking Zumba for over 3 years now. Unlike running and strength training, it’s the type of exercise that comes naturally to me. Since I danced for many years, it reminds me of that time (I miss dancing…a lot). I’ve been talking about becoming certified for almost a year, and I feel that this year is the year to do it. Once I’m certified, I can begin teaching classes!
2. Buy a house No big deal, right ;)? My experience with apartment shopping and house hunting, thus far, has been frustrating. After realizing that we’re not ready to build a house, Jordan and I looked around at apartments- and I haven’t liked what I’ve seen. I’m really hoping to find a cute starter home in our area for a good price. I’ve learned that we don’t need brand new, we just need functional. Fingers crossed!
3. Run a half marathon Yes, you read that right. Five years ago, I didn’t even know the distance of a half marathon. Two years ago, the thought of running made my head hurt. Today, I feel differently. I’ve done 5Ks, I’ve done a 10K, so what’s a few…or 7…miles more? I don’t plan on running forever, but I’d like to do a 12 week training plan, and accomplish the task one time.
4. Book a honeymoon This may seem like an obvious goal, but as I mentioned earlier, our original honeymoon plans didn’t work out. I plan on explaining in a later post- but here’s a hint- don’t book a trip through WeddingChannel.com! We’re still in the process of getting our money back, and once we do (and I pray that we do), we have to book a new trip. I just want to go somewhere fun and relaxing…and I hope to book it soon.
5. Find a job that I love Right now, I’m working full-time creating content for a website at a company 45 minutes from my house. It’ s been a good first job, and I’m thankful for the experience, but it’s also a temporary position. I know I can’t be (and don’t want to be) a temp forever. Eventually, I’d love to freelance and do something in the health and fitness industry, and possibly work with kids (I know, I’m random), but I’m still not exactly sure what path I need to take to get there. That’s what I’m hoping to figure out this year!
6. Become self-hosted Since I really enjoy blogging, I think I’m ready to take the next step- becoming self-hosted. I’d love to become a part of a bigger blogging network, like BlogHer, and unfortunately, I can’t do that until I accomplish this goal. I plan to make the switch after I’m married, changing the name and theme of my blog to match the new chapter of my life. I am kind of clueless when it comes to self-hosting, so if you have any advice, (please do) email me at perfectionisnthappy at gmail dot com :).
I may or may not add to this list as the months go by, but for right now, here’s to accomplishing goals :).
Do you have a leap list? Share some of your goals!